TEC Functions are as follows:
- TEC is a technical body representing the interest of Department of Telecom, Government of India.
- Prepare specification of common standards with regard to Telecom network equipment,services and interoperability.
- Specifications released as Generic Requirements (GRs), Interface Requirements (IRs) and Service Requirements (SR).
- Issuing Interface Approvals, Certificate of Approvals, Service Approvals & Type Approvals.
- Formulation of Standards and Fundamental Technical Plans.
- Interact with multilateral agencies like APT, ETSI and ITU etc. for standardisation.
- Develop expertise to imbibe the latest technologies and results of R&D.
- Provide technical support to DoT and technical advice to TRAI & TDSAT.
- Coordinate with C-DOT on the technological developments in the Telecom Sector for policy planning by DoT .