IEEE Standards Association (IEEE-SA) has launched the OCEANIS (Open Community for Ethics in Autonomous and Intelligent Systems) forum in July 2018. OCEANIS is a global forum for discussion, debate and collaboration for organizations interested in the development and use of standards to further the development of autonomous and intelligent systems. The participants work together to enhance the understanding of the role of standards in facilitating innovation while addressing problems that expand beyond technical solutions to address ethics and values.
Some of the emerging areas of interest in telecom sector where AI along with cloud computing and Big Data is expected to play a big role are as follows: -
1. Network Operations – Network Function Virtualization (NFV), Software Defined Networks (SDN), Self-Optimizing Networks (SON), Cognitive Management Architecture (CMA), Predictive Traffic Routing etc.
2. Predictive Maintenance – Intelligent Network Optimization, Self-diagnostic and optimization, self-learning, self-healing, Monitor the infrastructures/towers /data servers etc.
3. Network/Cyber Security – Scanning systems and networks for vulnerabilities, learn to detect and mitigate anomalies or suspicious behaviour, identify pattern of new security threats and blocking of suspicious traffic etc.
4. Improving Network Performance – Spectral Performance Management, Cell site degradation prediction.
5. Regulatory Compliance.
To develop standards/ specifications in the field of artificial intelligence for telecom/ ICT sector which will be utilized across cross sectors like healthcare, education, agriculture, automobile, avionics, smart cities, TEC has joined as founding member of OCEANIS where it ensures Indian participation in: -
- Sharing of information and coordination on respective initiatives and programs, starting with the areas of autonomous and intelligent systems,
- Enhancing understanding on the role of standards in facilitating innovation, whilst addressing problems that expand beyond technical solutions to addressing ethics and values,
- Jointly organizing events at local/regional/global level,
- Identifying opportunities for collaborative activities that bolster the development and use of standards in supporting technical, business and policy communities in addressing technical, societal and ethical implications of technology expansion.